Sunday 25 October 2009

Passion for Prints

Two years ago, I lived in London with Hannah Kay (the wartime wonder) for 5 months. We were both working as secretaries in banks and trying to earn as much money as we could to go travelling. The dire reality for us was that saving meant NO spending! I had to restrain myself everytime I walked past a shop. It was horrible. There are A LOT of shops in London. HORRIBLE. I was living in London, one of the fashion capitals of the world, and I couldn't shop! Walking down Oxford Street was impossible. In fact, I had to ban myself from ever getting off the tube at Oxford Circus. Just looking at the sign made my heart wrench. More to the point, I spent EVERY minute of EVERY day in black pencil skirts and white shirts-I couldn't even afford to jazz up my work wear!

One winter day, whilst braving the icy walk in stiletto's from the tube station to the office, I came across an incredibly colourful and immediately uplifting billboard advertising a Matthew Williamson exhibition at the London Design Museum. My heart skipped a beat.
I visited the exhibition straight after I finished work the next day. I walked in praying that my craving for fashion would be satisfied and I walked out with an overwhelming sense of awe and happiness. I had had my fashion fix for that month and it only cost me £5!
The exhibition was rich with bright, vibrant colours and highly intricate and creative patterns.

Strolling through the exhibition gave me the sense of spinning around in kaleidoscope. All around me decorative shapes and vivid colours were emerging. Everything was so intricately designed and beautifully crafted.


Matthew Williamson is renowned for his butterfly wing patterns and bright vibrant colours. His designs at the exhibition reminded me of silk paintings; the colourful dyes seemed to have seeped fluidly into the delicate materials. They were vibrant, refreshing and vivid as well as subtle.

You are probably thinking, where on earth is she going with this?
Well, today I came back from my lectures feeling miserable. The dark rain clouds weren't exactly elevating my mood. Then something happened. Something very similar to the moment I spotted the Matthew Williamson billboard. Flashback. I visited the LIPSY ONLINE STORE website and came across these beautifully patterned dresses, very like the designs above by Matthew Williamson.

The only difference now is that I am not saving so, even though I really shouldn't, I can SPEND!

Jewelled Strapless Rouched Dress. £65. Lipsy.co.uk


Bubble Tulip Dress. £30. Lipsy.co.uk ON SALE


Strapless Bustle Dress. £30. Lipsy.co.uk ON SALE


Drop Pocket Shift Dress. £25. Lipsy.co.uk ON SALE
VISIT
Did I mention, there is a mid season sale now on at LIPSY!
EMMA

No comments:

Post a Comment