Thursday 1 October 2009

I never forget a dress...

Emma and I have a mantra...”you never forget a dress”. I can remember almost any night by what somebody was wearing and I truly believe that every dress has a story.

I think my love of clothes has been inherited from my mum. She is (without being biased) the most glamorous lady I have ever met. One of my first childhood memories is sitting on her bed whilst she was getting ready for a ball. I watched in amazement as she pulled on her satin evening gloves that perfectly matched her beautiful red and pink dress. The dress had a tight bodice and layers and layers of chiffon that spiralled down in tendrils to her ankles...a real princess dress. This dress is still hanging in our attic along with rails and rails of clothes which my mum can’t bear to throw away and I hope to add to this collection over the years!

Being back in Leeds I have not been able to bring my full collection of dresses with me, my dad actually put a stop to that when I’d filled 3 cars full with my things! Here, however are a few of my favourites...(from left to right)

Grey and purple shift dress. Oasis. Summer 2009.
This is one of my favourite dresses in my wardrobe at the moment. The colours compliment each other perfectly, the dress has the essential floral pattern for summer yet the pixalated appearance makes it modern and edgy. I couldn’t think of a better dress for a summer barbecue, comfortable and relaxed yet chic and sexy with the clingy material hugging all the right places.

Black and cream, lace corset dress. Urban Outfitters. Christmas 2008.
Well, what can I say about this one? I don’t think a dress has ever captured my style more. You can imagine my happiness after falling in love with this dress and then realising it was in the sale! The layers of net skirt give the dress a tutu like appearance. The vertical stitching on the bodice elongates the wearer’s figure and the grey, elasticated waistband provides a great contrast from the femininity of the lace. The corset top and the cups certainly make it my Madonna dress!

Pink body-con dress. Reiss.

Myself on the right with my friend Jessie who too is wearing a body con skirt!

I think a body-con dress is an absolute essential in every girl’s wardrobe. The colour is so striking and looks great with a tan. There is no better item to accentuate a girls figure and the thickness of this dress’s material really helps out when things need to be held in! So...next buy, my own Hervé Léger...a girl can only dream!

Cheryl Cole in Hervé Léger.

Silk ‘Yuriko’ top. All Saints. June 2009.
All Saints is my favourite high street store and on many occasions I find myself top to toe in everything All Saints! Although this is a top, I wear this garment as a dress. It may be a little on the short side but is such a versatile item, great with bare legs in the summer and with black opaques in the winter. The silk falls beautifully around the bat-wing sleeves and the gathering in the middle gives the dress shape. Again, sequins are a must-have item in any girl’s wardrobe and the pretty pink and blue sequins allow this dress to ooze glamour.

Sophie.

No comments:

Post a Comment