Saturday 10 October 2009

How Very Stylish!

Spotted. Hannah Kay in Wartime Wear.

Hannah stuck out from the crowds of lecture-going students like an exquisite silk evening dress would amongst a pile of old knitted jumpers. I felt like I had hopped into my time machine and travelled to London in the 1940's. The three words that came to mind when I first spotted her were,

ELEGANT
SOPHISTICATED
QUIRKY
and World War II



Pink top from Topshop
Silk Trousers from Urban Outfitters. Something Else. Natalie Wood

She looked cooly chic in her midnight blue, silk, high waisted trousers, rose pink, loose fitting top and brown, snakeskin leather bag. The icing on the cake, for me, were her perfectly worn-down, brown leather brogues.


Brown Mock-leather Brogues. Primark

Drawing. World War II Fashion

Hannah's high-waisted trousers epitomise World War II fashion. Throughout which women increasingly wore pinched in trousers rather than skirts and dresses. At the time this break was radical and came as a result of increased labour jobs for women. The introduction of trousers into women's fashion had a lot to do with the increased opportunitites for women who, during the war, had to take on laborous jobs previously held by men. Trousers were first publicised in Vogue magazine in 1939 and were soon worn by stars such as Katherine Hepburn which set them off aa a new and accepted trend. The 1940's was renowned for it's more masculine yet still elegant wear of often high-wasited, clinched in at the waist and upturned trousers as pictured in the image above.


Women took on a more masculine appearance, though fabrics such a silk and satin ensured items exhorted an elegant and feminine feel. The button detail and pleated waistline ensure Hannah's trousers maintain a feminine feel and are also extremely flattering to her waistline. The high waist acts to elongate her legs. The loose fitting top juxtoposes perfectly with the tailored waitline of her trousers in a graceful, comlimentary manner.

Hannah adds a tipple of quirkiness and fun to her smart outfit by accessorising with a hair piece which also acts to feminise her outfit and make it more casual.

Hannah's Style Credentials

Where do you shop the most?

I love to shop at vintage stores as I enjoy collecting classic items of clothing which will stay in fashion year after year. Spittalfields market is great for picking up some great bargains as well as unique pieces. The idea of reviving past trends appeals to me and vintage shops always have some brilliant items from different fashion decades. Having said this I think it is important to mix vintage pieces with new, high street trends. My favourite High Street shops include Zara, Topshop and Urban Outfitters where there are a number of individual designers showcasing their work like, Natalie Wood who designed my trousers.

How would you describe your style?

I guess, experimental. I couldn't really generalise as I have a lot of different styles that I like. I'd say quirky and versatile. I love finding pieces that you can wear over and over again to create different looks. I like accessorising-head scarfs are my latets craze.

What is your favourite item of clothing?

I have quite a big collection of waistcoats from embroidered to sequined etc... They make any outfit fun. Most of them I have picked up in markets or vintage fairs.

Any Style secrets?

I think accessorising is key to making an outfit interesting and different. I love buying unique brooches from vintage shops. Most of my jewellry I buy from charity shops or vintage fairs. The idea of them being authentic makes them more interesting and special. I also love layering clothes.

How would you describe the fashion in Leeds?

Very ecclectic which means you can be as experimental as you like and wear some crazy things. Inspiring, as everyday you see people wearing items that you wouldn't usually consider but then really want.

If you like Hannah's style or any items she has worn then read our 'Get the Look' to find out where you can buy similar items. Big thanks to Hannah!

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment