Tuesday 13 October 2009

High Rise...STILETTOS

GIANT platform high-heeled stilettos are swarming the shelves in shoe departments.

Can anyone remember when this last happened?

Once again, we look back to the so-called period of 'anti-fashion' (you wouldn't have guessed where the name came from from the photo below) the NINETIES!

The infamous British fashion designer, Vivienne Westwood re-introduced the high heeled platform shoe into high-fashion in the early 1990s. It was while wearing a pair with five inch platforms and nine inch heels that the super model Naomi Campbell took a tumble on the catwalk at a fashion show in Paris.

Naomi Campbell on the Catwalk in Paris

The best memories I have of platform shoes, however, are the times I spent dancing around my living room dressed in my mum's high heels with blond pigtails to 'If you wanna be my lover' and 'Who do you thnk you are?' Yes, I was Baby Spice and , yes, I was in my own Spice Girl band! Throughout the late 1990's whilst the Spice Girls were pulling out continuous hit singles and becoming the UK's bigest phenomenum, platform shoes were hitting the world of high-fashion HARD! The Spice Girls took what, the 5 inch platform heels we now buy today, to extreme 9 inch levels!



The Spice Girls on tour-LOOK AT THEIR SHOES!

The platform shoes on sale today are, to the relief of boyfriends and our ankles, a little less ambitious. However, don't expect anything too safe as platform heels must have a reasonable sized platform to count and this season, it is all about the platform heel!

Here are a few I have picked out,


In order of size!


Office. Simple Minds. £70




Topshop. Shakira Studded Gladiator. £75


Carvela Giant. House of Fraser. Was £110. Now £79


Topshop. Unique Metallic Sandal. £95


Topshop Boutique. Passion Frill Shoe. £95

I thought I'd end on a high note...

Office. Party all night. £85


Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment